Himalaya: Listen. Learn. Grow.
Datey Ladies with Barbara Ann & Vera Duffy
WE DID IT! WE FINISHED THE BOOK! Discover why it took us so long, and Vera’s explanation of why a damn parrot’s on the book cover. And then….
“Winner” needs to be waaaaay more specific.
…as promised in our intro, a very specific list of ways to support the #BlackLivesMatter movement:
1. Order from a BLACK-OWNED RESTAURANTYou can find one near you on this list of lists.
2. DONATE to a causeHere is another list of lists, but if you want us to choose for you, consider Black Lives Matter, Reclaim The Block, or the good ol’ ACLU.
3. EDUCATE yourself by watching 13THAva DuVernay’s documentary reveals the historical relationship of race, economics, and mass incarceration in the United States, and Netflix has made it available FOR FREE on YouTube. (Spoiler: Police abuse against America’s Black citizenry is not by accident, but by design.)John Oliver’s “Police” episode of LAST WEEK TONIGHT is also informative and also free on YouTube.
4. Read up on #DEFUNDPOLICEDoes it sound scary? It’s not. It’s just catchier than #REALLOCATE-FUNDS-TO-MORE-APPROPRIATE-AGENCIES-BECAUSE-SIMPLY-REFORMING-POLICE-ISN’T-WORKING. Here’s a short article to get you on your way. And after you do that…
5. TELL YOUR REPRESENTATIVES to #DEFUNDPOLICESUPER easy. These are PRECOMPOSED EMAILS with the appropriate recipients already added, and all it takes is a few clicks.i. Visit Defund.emailii. Find your city (or fill out the form to have yours added).iii. “Allow” the website to compose an email.iv. Tailor the email. Make it your own. Or better yet, write your own.v. Send.You can also create your own tiny URL email to share by following the instructions here.
6. Tell us the SPECIFIC ACTIONS that have gotten you results.We’re new at this. We’re listening. Message or comment to us on Instagram @DateyLadies