Himalaya: Listen. Learn. Grow.
The Rich Roll Podcast
“If you’re ever going to start exercising, get your sleep schedule right, reduce stress or start eating healthy--now is the time to do it.”
Michael Greger, MD
A powerful primer on all matters pandemic pertinent, today Michael Greger, M.D., FACLM returns for his fourth appearance on the podcast to answer all your coronavirus queries and more.
A graduate of Cornell University and Tufts University School of Medicine as well as a founding member and Fellow of the American College of Lifestyle Medicine, Dr. Greger is the nutrition science wizard behind NutritionFacts.org — the world’s most authoritative, non-profit, science-based public service destination for all things nutrition, health and disease prevention.
His massively popular books, including How Not to Die, How Not To Diet, and their cookbook analogues, all became instant New York Times Best Sellers and crowned Dr. Greger a media darling, his excitable face popping up everywhere from The Dr. Oz Show to The Colbert Report.
Less well known is the fact that, prior to his focus on nutrition, Dr. Greger had an entire career as an internationally-recognized expert on public health. A specialist in emerging infectious diseases, he's been sounding the pandemic alarm for over a decade.
Back then, nobody was listening. Now they are. To wit, Dr. Greger's latest release, How To Survive A Pandemic, now available in audiobook and kindle with a paperback version hitting the shelves August 18, forms the basis of today's conversation.
Today's exchange is hyper focused on the public and political health disaster that is the novel coronavirus. The even more deadly impending H7N9 bird flu. And the common thread between these and other zoonotic diseases: humanity's broken relationship with animals.
In general terms, I seize the opportunity to ask Dr. Greger his expert opinion on all my (and perhaps your) lingering questions about what exactly is happening. Where it started. Where it's going. How we prevent future pandemics. And how we survive this one. In specific terms, we explore:
- What is the difference between COVID-19 and a typical flu?
- How exactly is it being transmitted?
- Why do some fall gravely ill while others experience only mild symptoms?
- What is herd immunity and what is it going to take to get there?
- How do we make sure our immune response is intact and healthy?
- What is the effectiveness of Vitamin D and Zinc supplementation?
- Why are there so many tests, which one should I take and when should I consider getting tested?
- Should I be disinfecting everything (like my groceries)?
- How dangerous are airplanes?
- How important is hand washing?
- What exactly is the utility of masks and does it matter what kind of mask I wear? and
- What are the most effective things we should focus on for prevention?
And perhaps the most fundamental question of all, how can we stop the emergence of pandemics in the first place?
The answer begins with the dismantling of our industrialized factory farming infrastructure.
Not only are America’s factory farms vile for the animals and the workers that slaughter them, but they are essentially breeding grounds for future pandemics. This is a call for the eradication of these systems--a moral imperative if we want to preserve not only our environment but the long-term viability of our species.
This is an important, alarming, and downright terrifying moment of truth. So pay attention.
The visually inclined can watch it all go down on YouTube. And as always, the audio version streams wild and free on Apple Podcasts and Spotify. If you're new to the show and interested in exploring Dr. Greger's work in nutrition, jump back to RRP #7, #199, and #522.
Final Note: If you're enjoying my bi-weekly 'ask me anything' themed-episodes and have a question you'd like answered on air you can drop it on our Facebook Group page or leave us a voicemail. Our brand-spanking new 'Roll On' phone line is live at 424-235-4626. Hit us up!
It’s scary out there folks, but Dr. G, ever the enthusiastic optimist, remains hopeful. That gives me hope. And hopefully gives you a little. hope too.
In the meantime, be kind.
Peace + Plants,
Listen, Watch & Subscribe
Thanks to this week’s sponsors
Whoop: The world’s most powerful fitness tracker. Get smarter about how you sleep, recover, and train, so you can unlock your best self. Go to WHOOP.com and use the promo code “Richroll” at checkout to save 15% off a WHOOP membership
Four Sigmatic: Nutritious and delicious mushroom brews and elixirs made with only the highest quality adaptogens and easy to take on the go. To try ‘em out visit foursigmatic.com/roll and use the discount code ROLL to get 15% off ALL PURCHASES.
On Running: Born in the Swiss Alps, On Running is the world’s fastest-growing running brand. From their patented cushioning system to their gorgeous minimal design aesthetic, shoes & gear that performs and looks great too. Go to on-running.com/richroll, pick your favorite shoe or apparel piece and run in it for a 30-day risk-free trial, no questions asked.
For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity url's and discount codes, visit my Resources page and click "Sponsors".
- Connect With Michael: Twitter| Facebook | Instagram
- Nutrition Facts: NutritionFacts.org
- Book: How To Survive A Pandemic*
- Book: How Not To Diet*
- Book: How Not To Die*
- Book: How Not To Diet Cookbook*
- Sydney Herald: In a 'corrupted' diet industry, a doctor finds the best tips are free
- Plant-Based News: Dr. Greger Reveals 'Silver Lining' Of Coronavirus Pandemic
- Live Kindly: Dr. Greger Has Been Warning About Pandemics For A Decade
- CIDRAP: Center For Infectious Disease Research and Policy
- STAT NEWS: Coronavirus Coverage
- Newsweek: Elizabeth Warren and Cory Booker Join Forces on Bill to Ban Most Factory Farming by 2040
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention: Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- YouTube: Dr. Gupta explains new swine flu with 'pandemic potential' discovered in China
- RRP #517: David Katz, MD: The Choreography of Contagion Interdiction
- RRP #007: Michael Greger, MD on Omega-3’s Protein & Plantpowered Performance
- RRP #199: Michael Greger, MD on How Not To Die
- RRP #522: How Not To Diet With Michael Greger, MD
*Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Donate: Check out our Patreon account
Support The Sponsors: One of the best ways to support the podcast is to support our sponsors. For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity url's and discount codes, visit my Resources page and click "Sponsors".
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.